Sunday 1 March 2015

"No matter how much I change, I'm left with me."

Things that made me cry this week

It's actually been a very good week. But some things just moved me.

A Long Way Down


Based on Nick Hornby's novel of the same name, A Long Way Down is a movie about four 'lost souls', desperate to end their lives who meet at London's most popular suicide spot.
"That's the thing about suicides. You can't cut the long story short."

They enter into a pact, to stay alive until February 14th. But a media frenzy ensues when the story of survival is leaked, and the foursome end up spending a lot of time together. The film stars Pierce Brosnan, and poor Pierce hasn't been in anything decent since like his first Bond film. But I'm a nationalist, so go Pierce! And it is a good film. So good, that I cried. Aaron Paul is excellent as JJ. Never forget that he's an extraordinary actor. And the ending had me in tears. A beautiful film that captures some of the many different and difficult reasons why people want to end their lives.
"No matter how much I change, I'm left with me."



With Pride When My Friends Made Inspiring Speeches

Damn UCD Students' Union Elections, will I ever leave? I was very proud, and I did well up a little.

Writing a Letter to a Friend

It was an emotional time.

Virunga

The film was nominated for an Oscar. It's executive-ly directed by Leonardo DiCaprio. But unfortunately, Leo jinxed it and it didn't win the Oscar for Best Documentary. But it should have.

Filmed in the Democratic Republic of Congo the film follows the rangers of Virunga National Park as they try to protect the world's last Mountain Gorilla's amid threats by militant rebels and a major oil company.
The film had barely begun going through the history of the DRC and I started to well up. It also didn't help that I can't stand to see animals dead/die/injured.
The bravery and loyalty of the Virunga rangers is inspiring. 

Yes Katembo, yes you are!

Like I said, it wasn't that I didn't have a good week. In fact, I had an excellent week. The best in a long time. But it is healthy and perfectly okay to cry and get emotional. And that I did.

1 comment:

  1. Very well written. It's important to cry sometimes to let the bad things out

    ReplyDelete