Saturday 6 February 2016

Daily Self Care Moments


When trying to improve your mental health, sometimes having one big overarching resolution isn't enough.

To be honest, my first week of self care didn't get off to the best of starts. Sure I was feeling positive and happy on the 1st of February, but on Tuesday 2nd I was a bit of a mess.


I felt tired and grumpy, despite a good night's sleep and a cup of coffee. I just didn't feel like me.
Lethargic. That's the word that feels most suited to my feelings.
This lasted until Thursday, when I finally felt my moods somewhat lift.

How could all my positive work of authenticity fall apart as soon I started a new challenge?
How could it all go so wrong so fast?

Well the truth is that mental illness doesn't care how determined you are to be happier or how much you want to practice self care every day. Mental illness will prey on your insecurities and vulnerabilities. It'll demotivate you and attempt to block any efforts of productivity or self preservation. And that's exactly what it did to me on Tuesday. Writing about why I had been feeling crap helped; but talking about it made my fears and insecurities fall away.

Developing the habit of self care can't be achieved overnight. So I have decided to break it down, and I am making a number of small commitments to follow every day.


Daily Self Care Moments

Treat yourself with kindness.
These are the little things I want to commit to, so that I can bring self care into every day

I promise to:

  • Make my bed

- Because crawling into a cosy, made bed makes me happy.

  • Read a Mindful Moment

- Every day I am reading an inspirational quote or two from Leaping Hare Press' 'Moments of Mindfulness' book.

  • Drink enough water

- Staying hydrated is good for the body and the mind.

  • Stay in touch with my family

- It's important to have a support network, and my family are definitely one of mine.

  • Talk about my troubles

- I know how important it is to share that I'm feeling down, I'm just not very good at doing it.

  • Eat well

- More fruit, more cooking for myself, and less midnight snacking on cereal.

  • Make time to relax

- Grab your cup of tea when you come through the door, light your candle, ditch Netflix for a good book.


What daily commitments can you make for yourself?

A Bit Of Everything

No comments:

Post a Comment