Wednesday 27 July 2016

You are Responsible for your own Wellbeing

"The willingness to accept responsibility for one's own life is the source from which self-respect springs." - Joan Didian
Regular readers of my blog and my Twitter rants will know that I've spent the past two weeks struggling with my mental health. It's difficult to write about recovery and hope and then find yourself submerged in the depths of a severe depression. In my head those two things conflict. Who am I to talk about finding happiness when I'm feeling sad? Am I failure for finding myself depressed AGAIN? 

For my depression to come back in full force during a month where I aimed to accept responsibility for my own wellbeing is all the more conflicting. I feel helpless for not being able to prevent it, control it, or move myself out of it. I feel responsible for making those around me worried and upset.

I feel like I have an onus to be well and recovered. Not just for myself, but for others in my life too.

The World Health Organization define health as “a state of complete physical, mental and social wellbeing.” WHO see these faucets of health as inter-related and co-dependent of each other.
I know I have to accept responsibility for these three pillars of health, and take action to improve my wellbeing. Especially now that my mental health has been suffering. Taking preventative and relieving measures can reduce the impact of a depressive episode. And after the past two weeks, that's all I want.

So here's my plan to take back responsibility for my wellbeing

Physical Wellbeing
  • Eat more fruit
  • Exercise more (again)
  • Don't forget the importance of quiet evenings in to rest 
  • Get 8 hours sleep a night

Mental Wellbeing 
  • Set boundaries - know what your own limits are
  • Take breaks when you're feeling overwhelmed
  • Breathe in and out slowly
  • Always have your medication in stock

Social Wellbeing
  • Connect with others and keep in touch with friends
  • Ditch the alcohol when your moods are low
  • Don't hold grudges
  • Remove yourself from toxic people and situations

What can you do to better your own wellbeing this month?

No comments:

Post a Comment