Monday 28 December 2015

December Favourites | Yearly Round Up

Happy New Year to you all! I cannot believe that in just a few short days we will be in 2016 - what a fabulous feeling. It's the perfect time of the year to reflect upon the previous 12 months. For me, this is especially poignant, as when I look back I can see just how far I've come in so many ways.
This time last year I was crying in my bed wishing that I didn't feel the way that I did. The first few months of the year were hard as I struggled with low self-esteem and my depression. Looking back it feels like it was much longer ago when I felt that way, rather than just 10 months. But a lot can change in a year.

Join me in ringing in the New Year with a look back at both my December Favourites and my Favourites from the Year.

December Favourites


Amsterdam
This was my first big travel adventure, like ever. I didn't inter-rail or go on J1 visa to America as a college student. The furthest I got was a flight to Edinburgh where my sister was studying. I picked Amsterdam for two reasons; I thought it might be snowy, and Vincent Van Gogh. It didn't snow, but I did get to immerse myself in the life and art of Van Gogh. His museum was breathtaking and I was like a school girl meeting her biggest crush as I explored his pieces and the gift shop. (Yes, I did go over-board in the gift shop) And I still got to ice-skate and explore Christmas markets, and when I left I felt very festive. Take a look at more of my photos here.


Christmas
This one might seem rather obvious, but the Christmas period was definitely one of my favourites this month. The lights, the food, the Christmas parties and get-togethers where so enjoyable. I truly loved the festivities, and had so much to do with so many people. All of my city friends and I exchanged our Christmas presents right before I headed home for the holiday. It's probably been the first year where I haven't felt a bit left out when everyone else is out celebrating Christmas.


Winter Checklist
Creating my Winter Checklist has helped me stay focused and enjoy the season. Everything from watching Frozen, to baking gingerbread cookies, getting winter boots, and making New Year resolutions have been checked off with pride. It's a bit silly that I have to write down - go to Christmas markets or go ice-skating - to ensure I actually do fun things. But that's been the nature of my busy year, and my checklist has been a fun guiding presence through the past few months.


Favourites from the Year


Employment
Being paid to do what you love doing is a pretty awesome feeling. This year brought with it some new opportunities, and a chance for 22 year old me to get her first full-time, fully paid job. It may be a temporary contract, but it's been great for my confidence to get a foot on the ladder.

New Friends
Every cloud has a silver lining. And even though I ended up working in a stressful job for two months, I ended up making amazing friends out of it. This year has been full of new experiences with amazing new people in my life, and for that I am very grateful.

New Adventures
This was the year where I finally felt confident and happy with who I am. This meant that I was more confident when it came to trying new things. I had an amazing time at Longitude, my first spa weekend away in Co. Clare and I traveled to Amsterdam just earlier this month. Exploring and experiencing new places is very high up my to-do list for next year, and I can't wait to carry on the new adventures for another 12 months.

Old Favourites
There have also been the old reliables this year. My friends from school, college and housemates have continued to be the most fun and supportive people I surround myself with. And I look forward to new adventures with these people. My wonderful pet family extended to bring in a new pup this year, and the rare weekend that I do get to go back home is glorious.

It's been a fun 2015, and with my Romeo Project getting under way come 1st January, I'm excited about 2016 too.

See you all soon,


24 comments:

  1. Wow, it looks like you had a lovely time in Amsterdam, I'd love to go there. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We really did, it was incredible over there x

      Delete
  2. Amsterdam sounds amazing and somewhere I have always wanted to go. I think when the kids are older I would more than likely visit there x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, I think they'd really enjoy it. Especially if they get to study Anne Frank in school before they go to her house x

      Delete
  3. Amsterdam sounds lovely. I'd like to visit there. The job front sounds good too - I'm currently on a contract (had only applied because everyone who wanted to previously got made permanent, but as soon as I started funding meant they decided only contracts, no permanent people coming in new). Still there nearly 3 years later!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yikes, that's very similar to my workplace to be honest. It can be a bit infuriating but I'm hoping at least it means I can get a permanent contract when I leave x

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a great 2015 for you, heres to 2016!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you have some great memories from 2015. Here's hoping 2016 is as good for you. X

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely round up - I am writing one too, they are a lovely memory of the year - which has flown! Kaz x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really has flown Kaz! Your round up of the year is really lovely x

      Delete
  7. I'm finishing my roundup at the moment too and it's surprising how much we've actually done when looking back!
    Well done on the employment and learning to love yourself :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Writing about it really helps you to appreciate all the little bits doesn't it? x

      Delete
  8. Some lovely memories of 2015, I hope 2016 is even better for you! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Christmas markets abroad. I've not been to one in Amsterdam but we went to Munich many years ago and they definitely put you in that festive mood! I can't believe it's 2016 in a matter of days!!! Great post.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura! Ooh I've heard wonderful things about the German markets. I'd say they were amazing x

      Delete
  10. Amsterdam looks amazing - shame it didn't snow for you! I'm glad that 2015 has been a better year, especially with not feeling on the sidelines this Christmas. Looking forward to seeing your projects developing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you Laura, it's definitely been a big change to how I felt this time last year x

      Delete
  11. Amsterdam looks and sounds amazing.
    So glad that 2015 has been better for you x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely post, it's great to look back on everything in a positive light x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eilidh! It's not always an easy thing to do, but I feel in a much better place this year to do that x

      Delete