Saturday 14 May 2016

Living in the Moment

If I want to fulfill my resolution to Don't Rush, then I have to start living in the moment.

Living in the moment really means moving on from your past, and not fretting about the future. For me, someone with a history of severe depression and general anxiety, it's not that easy to do.

Thankfully, there is a book to help me along the process.

'Living in the Moment' by Dani DiPirro brings together mindfulness and meditation to guide you through how to increase your awareness and focus on the present.

For DiPirro, Living in the Moment means 'fully concentrating on what's happening in the present' and 'not dwelling on the past or worrying about the future'.

The book was designed to be accessible and make it easy to cultivate awareness everyday by interspersing quotes and activities throughout.
Di Pirro gives tips for staying present like Don't Look Back.

And advises us to accept difficult times, live fearlessly and use your time well. In fact, the book is full of advice and rather cliched phrases: -
Get the most out of everyday.
Keep your eyes (and heart) open to opportunities.

But it also has great advice for living mindfully. Di Pirro advocates for mindful moments where we make more of an effort to observe the world around you. From trying to observe an experience objectively to the more practical writing down your worries to set them aside, these are practicable activities to increase awareness of the present.

The book is very short, but I found it to be the perfect starting point for trying to live in the moment. Hopefully it's something I can keep up as I continue to live my resolution - Don't Rush.

Until next time,

No comments:

Post a Comment