Thursday 19 May 2016

Press Pause

Have you ever tried to do nothing?

I am one of those people who likes to keep busy. In some ways, it's a coping mechanism; a distraction from my worries and pain (see Spinning-my-wheels). In others, having so much to do gives me a sense of pride. My self-worth is valued based on my volunteer, ambassador and teaching roles. Not to mention my job and, dare I say it, career. But sometimes I do feel too busy. I find myself stressed and anxious, and rushing. It can be hard for anyone to find time for themselves in this day and age. Every week, I try to have one evening free for myself, but when teaching evening classes and balancing two jobs, that isn't always possible.

That’s why I’m pressing pause. I need 'me time' every day; not just one night a week.

It’s time to sit back and do nothing. Except, doing nothing isn't really doing nothing. Doing nothing is time to take a break; have down time; unwind; and refocus.

On the importance of learning to be idle, I really liked the following quote:
"The more you practice, the easier it becomes to enjoy the benefits of a calm, focused mind." - Patricia Macnair and Ilona Boniwell, 'Change your life one day at a time'
One way to spend your pause time is in meditation.

If, like me, you need a little bit of help when it comes to doing nothing, I find the the following website very helpful. Do nothing for 2 minutes literally is just that. With soothing music playing in the background and a lovely sea view, the website counts doing for 2 minutes while you sit in silent meditation. Any move of your computer's cursor and you fail and have to start the countdown again.
The key to meditation is to sit in silence and don't let your thoughts wander. If you catch yourself thinking about something, stop yourself and go back to a clear head space. 
Last night I took 2 minutes out of my evening to put on the countdown. Lying flat on my bed, I got myself in a comfortable position with my muscles relaxed. I recorded my mood, thoughts and feelings before visiting the website and then again after my 2 minutes were up. After my meditation I felt relaxed, calm and was no longer harbouring the initial anxieties I had. It helped clear my thoughts and allowed me to unwind before heading to bed.

Do you ever Do Nothing?

How can you press pause on your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment