Saturday 23 July 2016

Life Handbook - How I Accepted Responsibility for my Own Life

Revisiting my Life Handbook

Back in January I found authenticity by mapping my goals, dreams and life plans in a dedicated Life Handbook. I loved having a notebook of my favourite motivational quotes, my one-, three-, and five-year plans, and ambitions for my life time. I spent the rest of month feeling motivated. I took action in some key areas (most notably under my Relationships goal).

But as the month ended, I forgot about my goals. With the Handbook put aside, they were out of sight and out of mind.

June approached and I found myself almost half way through not only the year, but also my Romeo Project. While reflecting on my progress so far, I looked back on my first resolution and remembered that I had plans and aspirations for the year that I was not fulfilling.

How could I achieve my dreams, goals and ambitions if I didn't accept responsibility for implementing them? I needed to take action.
"If you want your prayers answered, get up off your knees and do something about them." - Wally Lamb


To re-focus and , I reviewed my values and my one-year plan goals (under the headings of Travel, Relationships, Budget, Work, Blog and Self-Confidence). I established what was working and what wasn't, what I need to do more of, less of, and what I had learned during the previous five months.

I was surprised to notice that I had already achieved so much. I'd taken chances and opportunities when they arose in work. I'd given online dating a try and found success. I had travelled to new places and discovered new things to do locally. I had thoroughly enjoyed building up my blog and starting a Facebook page. Back in January, I couldn't have imagined that I would have found a permanent job and a safe and secure relationship by half-way through year 1.
However, I hadn't done much work on saving money (Budget) or improving my self-confidence.

I made a 6 month plan to help me achieve the rest of my goals. I listed actions to take, aspirational quotes to inspire me along the way, and
Actions should be achievable and realistic. For example, to help improve my self-confidence I want to try and exercise everyday. To help me travel and explore more, I've made a list of places, restaurants, exhibitions and bars I want to visit.

Since June I have also committed to a Daily Prioritizer within my Life Handbook. Everyday I record my daily goals, priorities and my moods and favourite moments. Not only does it act as a handy to-do list to review, but it allows me to keep track of my mental health.

You are the author of your own life. By taking action you can achieve your goals, dreams and ambitions. You can accomplish anything you want to if you only accept responsibility for your own future.

"You may not control life's circumstances, but getting to be the author of your life means getting to control what you do with them." - Atul Gawande


No comments:

Post a Comment