Tuesday 5 July 2016

There are some things we cannot change


"Learning to accept the things we can't change in our lives, such as painful emotions, suffering, loss and external events that hinder our goals, is at the heart of allowing greater contentment into our lives." - Claire Thompson

When writing about the need to take back responsibility for our own choices, decisions and lives, it is also important to remember that outside forces beyond our control still exist.

As I look towards developing my new mindset, I must also remember to accept my own limits.
There is a difference between what we are responsible for and what we are not. Sometimes, in a rage or a depression, it is hard to tell the difference.

It can be hard to accept that we cannot change the past. I know I have often found that difficult, and so I wrote about embracing the past to find peace with it back in March.

Or often I try not to take responsibility for something I said in the heat of an argument.

But I am looking to this Reinhold Niebuhr quote for guidance during my month long resolution. I don't think it will steer me wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment