Friday 30 September 2016

You Create Your Own Happiness

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions." - Dalai Lama

Conclusion

As September draws to a close, so too does my resolution to Create New Things. Time flew, and despite a few half-hearted efforts, I didn't quite get as immersed in my resolution as I had hoped.

The month started out well. I read Stephen King's 'On Writing' which was not only motivational, but highly informative on how to capture your audience's attention. Despite being written for novelists, there is much for bloggers and journalists alike to get out of it.
And I returned to own my favourite writer and inspirational woman in general, Patti Smith. Writing about how much reading her work has inspired me reminded me of the influence she has had on my life over the past year.

But rather than feeling flooded with creativity as I had hoped, it came in bursts; dipping and rising depending on what I read.

I didn't have a bad month though. It's important to acknowledge that my mental health was fairly stable and positive throughout the past few weeks. And although I didn't do as much for my resolution as I had planned, I created new memories instead. I attended a play at the Abbey Theatre for the first time, spoke at the National Ploughing Championships, and was nominated for my first Blog Awards. And my mental health and benefited as a result.

However, I wouldn't go as far as to say creativity brought me happiness. See, as much I love being productive and busy and making all the pretty things, it's not enough on its own.

And while being creative may not have made me happy, I still believe that you create your own happiness. You can't find ready-made happiness. You have to create it. You have to cultivate and grow it at your own feet.
I don't think happiness can be created in a month. It takes time and effort. It takes a year long project like The Romeo Project.


No comments:

Post a Comment