Monday 21 March 2016

What I wish I had known...

Life Lessons

As part of Embrace Your Past month I have been exploring my own history with mental illness. One thing that has stood out for me is how far I’ve come. So much can change in such a short period of time. One of the biggest changes over the past 5 years is how I have learned my own worth and value.
It wasn’t always this way.

And as I look back, there are some things I wish I had known when I was at my lowest. We can’t change the past, but these lessons might help us all in the present.

What I wish I had known... 

- You are never truly alone.

- It’s okay to say ‘no’.


- How we depict ourselves on social media often has little bearing on who we really are.

- You can never predict what lies around the corner.

- Opportunity comes from the most unexpected of places.

- Don’t be ashamed of needing time and space.

- In fact, don’t be ashamed.

- You can do more than you have ever believed you can.

- Sometimes we have to take a step backwards to find a new direction.

- You have to put yourself first before you can help others.

- Never give up.

There are lessons to be found when we look at our past.
I feel like these will stay with me as my words of wisdom for whatever I have to face next.
“There are certain life lessons that you can only learn in the struggle.” ― Idowu Koyenikan, Wealth for All: Living a Life of Success at the Edge of Your Ability
Check out my previous The Romeo Project posts here.

No comments:

Post a Comment