Saturday 5 September 2015

Hello Autumn

Hello folks! Now that we're settled into September, Autumn is finally here. For me, this is a good thing. I quite like the chill in the air, the leaves on the ground, the run up to Christmas (no, too soon?). As most of you know, August was a test-run for my Autumn. With September, the schools start back and I return to working two jobs. It can be stressful at times, and the last two weeks have been extremely busy. And that's what my August was all about. I tried to build up my defenses, practice self care everyday, compile a list of stress reducing activities, and learn to love myself that little bit more. August was a good month. I came into September feeling ready for whatever life may throw at me. I feel mentally strong, not a phrase I have ever used before, but I feel like I know the value of my own self worth. It might sound silly, but I've never known that before. And it feels like a huge thing.


My bed is the best bed
Despite the stress of all the work, Autumn also has many positives. Firstly, I love my job. Well, both jobs. So having to work isn't a burden; it just keeps me busy. And Autumn is my favourite season. I find it comforting. It makes me think of cosy things like scarves, hats, tartan, fox blankets... I like drinking coffee outside and the cup keeps your hands warm. I like pulling on sweaters, and wearing woolly tights. And I love Halloween - the spooky films (but nothing terrifying), the pumpkins, the decorations, some of the costumes.

But things also slow down in Autumn. With Summer out of the way, things are winding down. There'll be no more Shakespeare in the park for me. No more eating Thai food by the canal. And no sunny festivals like Longitude. I think we're all preparing to hibernate.

So I've made a little Autumn checklist to keep me busy both indoors and outside. It's my motivation to get outdoors a bit more, and be productive when I am inside.  


You can download and print off your own here using either the Autumn leaves colours, or a white background.

 



27 comments:

  1. Hi Zoe, great article. I like your writing style, really engaging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Ahmed and your kind words, I really do appreciate it :) x

      Delete
  2. I love Autumn, it's my favourite season. I like playing with fallen leaves in the forest and creating pictures using them, with my sons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was wondering what to do with Autumn leaves actually! If you have any ideas, I'd love if you shared them :) x

      Delete
  3. I'm liking the idea of an autumn checklist - hot chestnuts, conker hunting and walking in leaves for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have only ever had hot chestnuts in Paris many, many years ago! Sounds like they'd be a great addition to my list :) xx

      Delete
  4. I love autumn too because its the season in the build up to xmas, Fireworks, Halloween dark nights, cosy warm house with radiators on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As much as I like warm, long evenings in the summer, I must admit I also love the dark nights and the heat coming from radiators instead of the sunshine :) x

      Delete
  5. I love Autumn, even the the weathers getting colder its an excuse to cosy up in wooley jumpers and leather boots and make hearty meals. I'm also excited for Spiced Pumpkin Lattes!!

    Cat x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like you already have your own autumn list coming together :) xx

      Delete
  6. I love autumn (it's my birthday!) but hate the onslaught of Winter. I'm just never organised for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Autumn is definitely the calm before the Winter storm for me. And I hope you have a lovely birthday xx

      Delete
  7. Fabulous idea! And so many great things on that list...Pumpkin spice latte, yummmmm!!!! I love your fox blanket too! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm wild about my foxes me! I've been craving a Pumpkin Spice Latte since last Autumn, so I can't wait to get my hands on one :) xx

      Delete
  8. Great post. I have to admit I love a good list or checklist as I feel so much more organised and in control, especially since having children! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same! I feel like I don't accomplish anything without one!

      Delete
  9. I don't have a favorite season. Probably because I am not an outdoors kind of gal. I do love the fact that the boy's are back in college for their sophomore year and on Tuesday, Baby girl starts her junior year of high school. It will lovely to have the house all to myself again, at least for a few hours during the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh you'll probably start missing them soon though? It'll be a big change having the house empty. But lots of time to be productive though x

      Delete
  10. I love Autumn, the leaves on the ground and colours are fab, i love your checklist, particuarly your pine cone garland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandra! Now I just have to wait until the pine cones are on the ground - haha xx

      Delete
  11. NOOOOOOOOOOOO! It's still summer! Autumn isn't allowed to be mentioned until the end of September.Typically, I've got all my warmer clothes out, including hats and gloves, only for the sun to return this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not sunny here at all! Very wintery and cold, so I already feel like we're in the middle of Autumn :P

      Delete
  12. what a positive way to look at things. I will be printing off my own checklist and trying to stay more positive, esp

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good plan Rachel, and good luck with it :)

      Delete
  13. This is a gorgeous post! I adore autumn. Love your checklist :) x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooooh an autumn checklist - what a great idea. It is my favourite time of year - I will be starting to plan Pickles 3rd birthday very soon :) Kaz x

    ReplyDelete