Wednesday 30 September 2015

Is there such a thing as Recovery?

Recovery as a word has been getting to me for a couple of months now. It’s something other mental health bloggers, ambassadors and enthusiasts seem to harp on about, and it’s something that people I know insist upon. Recovery from mental illness is the end goal. It’s why we get diagnosed. It’s why we go to therapy, practice mindfulness and CBT. It’s we are prescribed anti-depressants.

In terms of mental health, I’ve been hoping for a recovery from this illness since I was diagnosed too. Of course I have. Wouldn’t it be great to say ‘I’ve recovered from my unfortunate depression of the past 5 years.’

But how do we actually define ‘recovery’ when it comes to mental health?

 I’ve spent the last year watching as many of my friends say they're now 'better’. People wean themselves off their medication (advisably with a doctor’s guidance).  They talk about how exercise ‘cured’ them. How they’re healthy again.

But I've been asking myself - why does my mental illness look so much different to everyone elses?
I've been on anti-depressants for over 4 years at this stage. And they've been great, I’ll agree. I have discussed coming off them with different doctors over the years. The general consensus has been that if they’re working, why change a good thing?
But I don't want to be on them forever if other people don’t have to be. I want to say ‘I’m better’ too.

As there remains so much stigma in and around mental health, it becomes customary to compare your journey with that of other peoples. Sharing stories and tips to deal with your mental illness are part of the process. If I hadn’t read a ‘mental health memoir’ (Shoot the Damn Dog by Sally Brampton) three years ago, I wouldn’t have understood or recognised some of symptoms and behaviours that can be common with depression in myself.

But mental illness is also unique to the person. It’s an individualised illness with a myriad of symptoms only connected by a few generally common ones. Effective courses of treatment also differ substantially from one case to the next. So vast and unknown is the mind...
When someone asks me for advice, I can only tell them what works for me, and warn them that it might not work for them.

So lately I’ve found myself wondering‘What am I doing that's wrong?’ and ‘How come I haven't been able to 'recover'?’

We have to accept that ‘recovery’ is part of the mental health experience, as so many people do get the ‘all clear’ so to speak.

But maybe some people don't recover. Maybe they can't. Which can be a scary and often overwhelming thought.

Or maybe recovery is different for everyone. But because we like to compare our mental health with others so often, that can be a hard thing to accept...

I cannot answer all of the questions I’ve raised in this post. Not only do I not know the answers, but science also struggles in the field to give any clear and definitive guidance.

But I did end up addressing my own ‘recovery’ accidentally this week. I guess you could call it a moment of epiphany. And I don’t even know what train of thought lead me to this conclusion, but here it goes:

I will always have depression. I just won't always be depressed.

There will be days of joy and happiness. These days are more common than they used to be. And the days of feeling down and numb and hopeless are less frequent. Sometimes so infrequent that I expect they’ll never come again. However, they can come back with ferocity, but I have spent the last 4 years learning how to fight back. I understand my illness better; I can identify triggers and I have resources at hand to stop the bad days hurting so much.

And if that isn’t recovery, I don’t know what is.


37 comments:

  1. Your posts are always so powerful and authentic. It is so good to see this honest and open perspective. Your story serves to help so many including those who do not understand mental illness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ronke, your comment is really really touching x

      Delete
  2. There is so much stigma around mental health these days and i don't always think people get the help and treatment they deserve. I respect your honesty and frankness with this post, i have no personal experience of mental health but feel like i understand it a little better from reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mental health is so hard to understand unless you are going through it and I think these posts will reach out to so many people. Sharing this can help so many

    ReplyDelete
  4. This really touched me. I have PND and feel as if I should be over it now, your words made so much sense to me. I will always have depression. I just won't always be depressed is a great way to look at it x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Aby, I'm glad you could relate and share the positive stance at the end x

      Delete
  5. 9 years ago I was diagnosed with depression with self harm tendencies and you are right you will always have depression but you won't always be depressed. You find your ways to cope and the people who love you know what you need when you have those days. I would not trade my depression for anything because it has made me the person I am today. Sometimes I think people forget how strong a person has to be to live with a mental illness and that it makes the person stronger than they would have been without it. I know for me no one can say anything about me that will hurt me because I have said them all and thought them all about myself when was at my worst.
    Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Kayleigh you are so right, I agree 100%. I wouldn't change a thing either, because it's made me stronger. Thank you for sharing xx

      Delete
  6. I have suffered with depression in the past and I can now recognise when it is creeping up on me. So while it may never totally go, I think it is possible to learn ways to manage it, although agree that some people don't but that's because we are all so different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely Janette. I'm so happy to hear you've learned the signs when it's sneaking up too

      Delete
  7. I don't personally think you can completely recover from depression, I know that I am not depressed anymore but I have bad days and know I could relapse in the future but it made me who I am and am much stronger than people think

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely Sarah, I'm so happy you are stronger now and have learned how to manage it better. But for me, maybe that is recovery because you've come so far?

      Delete
  8. I've never suffered from depression but had so many close to me who has. It's horrible to watch. You seem to have great support, a brilliant doctor and you certainly know what to watch for. You're very brave for sharing something so personal, I don't think I could. Go you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I use to work in Mental health before my maternity leave and it is such a complex illness and no two people are ever the same. This is such a honest post and it sounds like you have a great attitude towards living with your depression xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you, I have definitely come a long way x

      Delete
  10. I have many relatives who suffer with depression and I feel for them. I am so glad you have great support around you as it is so important to look after your mental health. I am glad people raise awareness mental health nowadays as years ago it was a taboo subject which is ridiculous.x

    ReplyDelete
  11. You make a great point here about "recovery." I think there is no recovery for a lot of illnesses & it's really wonderful that you have learned what the triggers are & have coping mechanisms. It's really great that you are sharing your experience with depression, that will help so many other people! x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have come to the exact same conclusion as you - this is something that I will always have to deal with. No matter how much therapy I do or tablets I think, I believe it will come and go for the rest of my life. This would worry some people, but not me. I think the main thing is to be able to realize and accept this and aim for coming out of your current slump rather than total recovery.

    https://joyfullantidotes.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's something that's difficult to accept, but I've slowly been coming to accept it lately too. Thanks for sharing Joy x

      Delete
  13. Like you, I also have depression and anxiety which is like a constant trainwreck and just like you, I always think about my "recovery" and you know what, once I reached the conclusion that you also reached (I will always have depression. I just won't always be depressed.) things start to make sense. An advice that I can give you that worked with me is try to live above your limits because you might be surprised when you figure out that you're stronger that you think ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely agree Anna. It's something I've been thinking about a lot lately - and it really does make sense! Glad other people have come to this conclusion too, it doesn't seem as daunting now x

      Delete
  14. I'm glad you're days of joy and happiness are more frequent than they used to be. This is an interesting post, you raise many great questions. It's brave that you share your thoughts and feelings! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your posts are always great reads I find. They are very personal. I don't have depression myself but I am pretty sure I have anxiety. I just never got it confirmed. I just never have the confidence to go and see someone about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have anxiety too Janine, but like you, it hasn't been diagnosed. I've done enough reading on the subject to be fairly sure though! I have been thinking a lot lately though about going and getting a doctor to put a label on it, because I think I'd rather know for sure x

      Delete
  16. Your posts are immensely interesting to read. Despite knowing a few people who suffer with depression, really, I personally know very little about the illness.
    I find the bit where you say one can 'Have depression' yet not 'feel depressed' all of the time particularly interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. That is exactly why I started this blog - so people without any real knowledge or experience of the illness can come to see it clearer and get a sense of what it's like to live with it x

      Delete
  17. Thanks for sharing this post, you always rewrite with such honesty. I suffer with PND, although I don't have as many bad days as I use to I know that it's something that will always be there, it's just that I have more good than bad days these days when it use to be the other way round.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's really important to celebrate that victory of having more good days! You should be proud of how far you've come x

      Delete
  18. Such a great honest post. I see mental health illness the same as a physical illness or condition - do you ever recover from an under active thyroid? Or do you gently accept that you need the medication to improve your condition? You are doing great :) Kaz x

    ReplyDelete
  19. There is so much stigma around mental health but there shouldn't be as we all have low moments in our lives that should be helped rather than suppressed.

    ReplyDelete