Tuesday 3 November 2015

November Mental Health Update


I wouldn’t say that October was either a great month for my mental health, or a bad month. I guess it was somewhere in between, but verging slightly more on the positive side.

The truth is, I haven’t had a chance to sit and reflect on how I’ve been feeling. There’s been so much to be done over the last month with work, teaching classes, party planning, booking appointments and the blog. I’ve been knackered, rather than feeling anything specific.

I’m feeling tired and a little lazy. I could blame this on SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) but I haven’t ever been diagnosed with it, so that seems unfair. I do blame it on my bad habits however. I am inclined to eat a lot of bad snack food when it’s cold and dark. Some nights I watch TV in bed until almost 1am. No wonder my mood has suffered.


I’ve been taking Vitamin D supplements for the past few days and they have had a positive, if only placebo, affect on my mood. And I am trying to stop watching so much TV late into the night in favour of retiring with a book in hand to my bed instead. It’s early days, but I do seem to sleep a lot better when I do that.

I have so much to get done for Christmas; presents, holidays, shopping for Amsterdam, booking time off work etc,, that I’m starting to get a little bit stressed. I love to-do lists, and lots and lots of organisational planning. But there are times when I’m feeling overwhelmed. There’s the things I need to do, the things I force myself to do, and then there’s the things I’d love to get done in an ideal world where I have ample free time. I don’t get to do the things I love enough; like this great craft idea I had early last month. The supplies are just sitting on a shelf waiting on a free evening so I can get cracking on it.

But there is one thing I have decided for the better with my mental health. Inspired by Gretchen Rubin’s The Happiness Project, I want to start a project of my own that will work towards continuously improving my mental health and building up my defense mechanisms against the bad days. The as-of-yet-untitled project is on my list of things I’d love to get done in an ideal world, and hasn’t been given the thought the time it really needs for it to be a success yet. Hopefully this month I can start putting my bits of research and thoughts together into something goal-oriented and achievable. It should stand to me in the long run and improve my overall mental health.

At least that’s my hope.

19 comments:

  1. Good call with taking the vitamin D supplements, I actually need to begin taking them too. I hope you enjoy this new happiness project you're about to embark on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree about eating badly in the winter. I do comfort food then too and have been thinking I need to break this habit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we all can, it's just so tempting when it's so miserable outside x

      Delete
  3. I'm glad that October wasn't a bad month, the Happiness Project sounds like a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I am glad it hasn't been a bad month. I love the idea of your project, can't wait to see what you do x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like October has been a fairly good month! I keep meaning to pick up Vitamin D supplements, I WILL get some tomorrow. Also, I find going to bed earlier, with a book helps my mood. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last night I just kept watching tv and eating chocolate though. Definitely need to reinforce by nightly book reading x

      Delete
  6. Glad that October has been on the positive side, here's to much more of that. Christmas does take a lot of planning but I think that helps with it all, try not to let it overwhelm you. I like a list or two as well and MOH laughs as he says (rightly) that I have a list of lists and sometimes just making a list of the lists I need to write helps!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha sometimes I have a list of lists too :P

      Delete
  7. Great idea to take vitamin D supplements! That's probably a great idea for anyone to take! Building up your defense mechanisms sounds like a great plan Zoe x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your project sounds great can't wait to see the output. Also I'm not sure if you heard of the them but Lumi lamps can help with SAD they wake you up to natural light, those and brazil nuts which are high in selium xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I hadn't heard of those! Sounds like a brilliant idea. I do miss the natural light this time of year x

      Delete
  9. Sounds like you've got the outline of what you need to do, and just need to put it into action.
    As someone else says, the daylight lamps are good (although they blind everyone else around you). Someone at work has one and she's felt a lot better already since using it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahaha well I don't want to blind everyone now! But it's great to hear they've been helpful for people. Thank you Emma x

      Delete
  10. Sorry to hear that your month has been meh, I have had a pretty bad week have been really down, sick and in pain plus my anxiety has been through the roof. Here is hoping that the rest of the month is better for the both of us.

    ReplyDelete