Wednesday 18 November 2015

Things people have REALLY said about my mental health

I didn’t really know what stigma was until I started volunteering for See Change, the national organisation for stigma reduction. Up until that point I would have told you that my mental health was accepted, I was lucky and I hadn’t experienced any stigma.  But we grow up in a society where the word ‘crazy’ is thrown about to describe reckless behaviour, emotional exes, and celebrity breakdowns. We can easily grow accustomed to behaviours of stigma as they’ve become so commonplace.
And little did I know, but I was oblivious to the stigma I had faced for years.

While the vast majority of people have been supportive and kind, it's the harsh words and dismissive comments that often stay with us for longer.

Here’s a look at some of the things people have really said to me when I tried to talk to them about my mental health;

'We all feel like that from time to time, it will pass'
The context: I told someone I was feeling suicidal.
Why it’s wrong: This response refuses to acknowledge the very serious thoughts of suicidal ideation. It’s like saying my feelings and my urge to die was not important. It is so dangerous to ignore or shrug off any suicidal thoughts.

You’re okay. You’ll be fine.’
The context: I was scared and crying down the phone to a friend.
Why it’s wrong: Did I sound okay? I felt so far away from ‘fine’ at that point in time, and their shut down made me refuse to talk to anyone else about my low mood for weeks. If someone tries to start a conversation to you about their mental health, listen to them.

‘Were you an emo as a teenager?’
The context: I said I felt lonely, and that no one ever wanted to hang out with me.
Why it’s wrong: Where do I start? There is a terrible presumption that teenagers who look a certain way must be depressed. It’s horrible and offensive. I never would have identified myself as ‘emo’, but here I was being told I must have been if I was feeling lonely.

‘You’re attention seeking.’
The context: I said I was worried I might have Bipolar Personality Disorder.
Why it’s wrong: Any attempt by someone to reach out for help and question their mental health should be encouraged and supported. Mental illness isn’t fashionable, and those who try to self diagnose should be encouraged to seek professional help, not made to feel as if they made it up to gain notoriety.

‘Stop feeling sorry for yourself.’
The context: Honestly, I think I was just skulking around the place as I generally do.
Why it’s wrong: If there was a magic button to press so I would stop looking miserable, then don’t you think I’d press it? Faking a smile doesn’t come easy to me; so when I’m down I can’t really hide it. But depression is about so much more than feeling sorry for yourself.

‘You’re imagining it.’
The context: I thought somebody hated me; in fact I was sure I’d heard them call me ‘crazy’.
Why it’s wrong: Paranoia often accompanies a lot of different mental health issues. I remember thinking that people who looked at me when I was walking down the street hated me. I thought people knew I was worthless just by my presence, or lack thereof. But the other side of this is stigma. Stigma is alive and well, and I do still believe that I was called crazy because I remember distinctly hearing it!

‘Things could be worse.’
The context: I get this one a lot, in fact, I know I’ve also said it a few times too.
Why it’s wrong: No shit Sherlock. I actually spend most of my time worrying about what could go wrong and how much worse things could be. That comes with generalized anxiety. But knowing this doesn’t make my immediate feelings anymore muted. For a long time I felt so selfish for being depressed as I knew there were people who had it worse than I did. My mind continued to torture me irregardless.


Please think twice before dismissing someone's mental health. It takes a lot of courage for someone to begin the conversation and seek help. Don't be so quick to dismiss them.

And think before you speak. You can't take it back. Your words can be more damaging than you can ever imagine.


26 comments:

  1. Amen to that I am sick and tired of people stereotyping us into images that are not even reflective of our identity. Because mental health is an invisible illness many people assume that you are okay when the reality is far different. I wish they could understand the pain, the sadness, the fatigue and anxiety that comes with having a mental illness. It is draining.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting Ana. I totally agree. But it really needs people like us speaking out about it to change attitudes.

      Delete
  2. This is awful that in this day and age people say things like that.
    ‘Things could be worse.’ is the worst pain in the ass expression...never let anyone make you think that your feeling aren't valid. Just because some people have it much worse doesn't mean that your own feelings and emotions are of no importance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary. It really is, and I've felt so bad since I realised I've said it myself. I do try to flip it though and say, 'Well, let's look at the positives'. x

      Delete
  3. I think it is shocking that people can say such things. Mental illness is invisible therefore to some it doesn't exist. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true Aby. And it is hard to imagine other people's sufferings when you can't see them, I get that. x

      Delete
  4. I'm so shocked that people have said those things to you, but sadly not surprised :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sian. It's just become so commonplace these days that we barely notice I think...

      Delete
  5. I agree think before you speak or brush someone off, I am heard many times in my life and often never thought much about them until just now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's hard to believe sometimes what people will say unthinkingly. I guess in some cases people are trying to comfort but get it so wrong! In other cases, I guess people really do judge and are insensitive and unkind which is awful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely Cliona, there's a real mixture of both. And I do always respect it when people are trying to help. But they sometimes get it really, really wrong.

      Delete
  7. Oh gosh I can relate to so much of that, people just don't stop to think do they? :(
    Nicola x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Nicola, it can really suck when you're so down to hear some of those x

      Delete
  8. That is so shocking! I have two children with Special Needs and because their conditions are not physically visible to some they think they comment.x I think you are so courageous to raise awareness through your Blog x Well donex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amanda. I hope that the stigma can be eroded quickly enough so that your children don't have to deal with it xx

      Delete
  9. I am actually shocked by some of this. Its crazy to think people stick act and speak like this. so sad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle. I'm lucky enough now that I can shrug most of it off, but there were times when I couldn't x

      Delete
  10. Oh honey it's awful that people who are meant to be supportive dismiss your feelings m, it couldn't have been easy to say some of those things in the first place! It's so sad that people act and speak in this way. Well done on volunteering it sounds like an amazing organisation xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. It really does sicken me to how nasty some people are. I am a support worker who takes people out into the public with all different illnesses and it is awful some of the looks and comments i see on a daily basis whilst out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that sounds horrible. It's so hard to deal with these things in public. With age and maturity it's become easier for me, but for a lot of people it never does.

      Delete
  12. Yes! Love the layout of how you've done this, completely agree with you. I don't think you could have been clearly with your points in this post! X

    Bomber jacket lovin' over on -
    hailandharmony.blogspot.ie
    // BLOGLOVIN

    ReplyDelete
  13. See change looks like a good organization - addressing the stigma is definitely something that needs resources, time and effort. Its not going to change overnight but hopefully people will start to consider this more and things will improve.

    This is a serious subject and should be taken seriously. Unfortunately, most people lack a basic understanding of human needs and can find it difficult to look past themselves (through no fault of their own). I think it take someone completely comfortable with themselves to address these situations and be supportive.


    Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shane! And you're right, it won't change overnight but considering even I'm guilty of saying 'It could be worse', this post goes to show we should be mindful of what we say. I'm naturally a very empathetic person, which has come in very handy when I've been working to encourage young people to speak out and seek help for their mental health, but on the other hand my empathy makes me vulnerable and these words and phrases can hurt a lot.

      Delete