Sunday 22 November 2015

This Week in Mental Health.. 22nd November

It's another week, another round-up! This week there's mental health news from the Irish Independent's #MindYourself campaign, International Men's Day and blog posts from fellow mental health bloggers. Take a look at my favourites below.


1) Doctors' lack of knowledge about psychological therapies revealed, Eilish O’Regan

GPs are often the first port of call for someone experiencing mental health difficulties. However, this research suggests that they are reluctant to refer patients on to talking therapy.

Irish Independent, 16th November 2015;
“A patient who goes to a GP with mental health concerns is more likely to end up being sent to a psychiatrist than a psychologist because many doctors are unfamiliar with "talk therapies". This is despite the fact that some patients would be more appropriately dealt with by a psychologist or trained counsellor. Part of the reason for the high referral rate to psychiatrists is the GPs' own lack of knowledge about psychological therapies, according to research led by psychologist Veronica Cullinan and the School of Applied Psychology in UCC.”



2) My Best Friend is Suffering with Depression @HarleyCel

Joe writes about what it’s like when your best friend has depression. It’s a touching look at how mental illness shapes a friendship.

Many Expressions of Celyn, 16th November 2015;
“Depression scares me. Depression is spelt with a capital D. I’ve learned that seeing somebody deal with Depression is full of contradictions. It’s part of her but it isn’t part of her. It’s her but it isn’t her. It’s nothing and it’s everything. It doesn’t affect the way I see her in any way at all but of course it affects the way I see her. When I told somebody else that she was suffering with it, they responded that they would never have thought of her having that. In a lot of ways that’s true: she’s so friendly and outgoing and warm that I can’t imagine it ever occurring to most people who come across her that she could be dealing with something so harsh and cold and alienating.”


Portrait of Professor Green, by Scarlet Page, for the Alpha project.

3) 'We must get men to talk': photographers address suicide rates among young men, Hannah Gal

Photographers comes together to address the startlingly high male suicide rate. It's an issue that was raised by Professor Green's very personal and honest documentary on his own father's death.

The Guardian, 18th November 2015;
“Now, for International Men’s Day on 19 November, Professor Green will feature in Alpha, a photography exhibition in aid of the male suicide prevention charity Calm (Campaign Against Living Miserably). To photographer and Alpha curator Helena Berg, finding out the disturbingly high rate of male suicides was a call to action. “I was so shocked and wanted to help,” she says. “I contacted four fellow photographers and we set out to interpret different parts of the male emotional experience. We called the project Alpha to reflect the cultural pressures put upon men to live up to the stereotypical “alpha male” model .”


4) 'It is our thoughts that fuel our stress', Dr Paul D’Alton

A brief look at CBT from Dr D’Alton as part of the Independent’s #MindYourself campaign.

Irish Independent, 17th November 2015;
“It sometimes surprises people to hear a psychologist say that "thoughts and feelings are not facts". I often say to patients that when you really, really believe that something is absolutely true, it's time to doubt yourself. How we think affects how we feel; it sounds simple but this is one of the most important understandings when it comes to our mental health.”

5) How Men Are Looking Out For Each Other This International Men’s Day, Maeve DeSay


Thursday 19th November was International Men’s Day. A number of mental health campaigners, including the fabulous Maeve DeSay, took it as an opportunity to raise awareness of men’s mental health with a series of photos from a Please Talk Day we organised a couple of years ago. Check out her feature below.

Buzzfeed, 19th November 2015;
“Today is International Men’s Day and something that affects us all, in particular men, is our mental health. In March of last year, a group from University College Dublin asked fellow students what they would say if a friend opened up about their own struggles with mental health.”


What have you been reading this week?

18 comments:

  1. I did not know about international men's day and the high rates of suicide in young me, its always shocking but also a call to action and help people in need regardless of circumstance. Great post

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can not believe another week has gone already, I like the best friend post it goes to show how all encompassing depression is. Thank you for bringing international men's day to my attention as well xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome, glad you founds ones you enjoyed x

      Delete
  3. Great post. I had no idea about international mens day. Thank you for bringing it to my attention. It need to be promoted more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, any excuse to promote men's health issues is a good one! x

      Delete
  4. I love these rounds ups of yours. It is so awful that so many young men are so desperate x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Aby, and I know. I only wish I had more positive stories to share x

      Delete
  5. I thought that Professor Green was very brave when he spoke out about his fathers suicide and even more courageous when he said that he did not want to have kids yet as he was not happy in himself and therefore could not look after his own child. An inspiration to us all x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was incredible to have a famous male saying those things! Much kudos to him x

      Delete
  6. I recently read about how high suicide is among young men in the UK and it really surprised me. I hope we can have a huge shift in attitudes about what it 'means to be a man' in the near future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly Erin! It's like the phrase 'man up'. So sexist and really stigmatises men who are struggling x

      Delete
  7. I didn't even know international mens day was a thing, apparently theirs a women's one too? What are we supposed to do on these days? Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I think they're days to raise awareness of Mens and Womens issues. So for example on Int. Women's Day we could focus on inequality and sexism, and on Men's Day many charities used it to highlight the high rates of male suicide.

      Delete
  8. I read about this. In fact I got an email about it and I was going to join in but got so busy then and just thought I'm going to leave it. I find it hard to concentrate on blogging in the evening lately with my anxiety.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you can get back into blogging soon x

      Delete
  9. Men really need to feel like they can open up about mental health issues. I feel women find it a lot easier to talk about this than men and then they're the ones who end up suffering xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So very true, and it's awful because talking should not be seen as a sign of weakness x

      Delete